Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Progress

Okay, Day 2, and I have made some progress on the left front of my brother's sweater, which now measures 13", completing the first full red diamond between the black and white diamonds. The neck and armhole shaping are coming soon, hopefully by the end of the day. I am going to use a modified drop sleeve and a deep V-neck, so I consulted The New Knitter's Template, and this is what I came up with:

I want a cardigan with length = 26"
and chest measurement = 48"
For these measurements, the armhole depth  should = 9", so 26" minus 9" = 17" from hem
V-neck depth = armhole depth + 1", so 10", or 16" from hem
As I recall, I modified the armhole depth to give my brother a little more room. I will measure the back piece later today to determine where changes might need to be made to my plan.

I checked the gauge, and I am slightly concerned. Whereas in November 2011 my gauge was about 23 stitches to 4", now it measures about 24.5 stitches to 4". The width of the piece in the lower section is right on 11", and in the upper portion it is about 11.25". As this is my first sweater knit in pieces, and the only other sweater I ever completed was in the round and 20 years ago, I am wondering:
          "Is this close enough to block out, or do I need to frog (rip-it, rip-it)?"
Experienced sweater knitters, please send your comments, and for now I will continue, just in case it will come out. If I hear from someone that I need to frog, I'll deal with it then.

ETA:The back piece measures 14.5" to the beginning of the armhole shaping, 24.5" total length, giving an armhole depth of 10", the same as the suggested V-neck depth according to The New Knitter's Template. I will therefore begin the shaping for both at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment