Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's 4:30 am and I am awake... again

What is it with me? No matter how much I try to get a good night's sleep, it just doesn't happen without drugs. So this morning I am in my room at the Cedar Shores Resort in Oacoma, SD, on the Missouri River. This is a weekend getaway for those newly diagnosed (within 1-2 years) with Multiple Sclerosis. I am having a great time. However, after finally getting to sleep at about 12:30am, I awoke abruptly at 3:00 am and have only been fitfully dozing and jerking awake since. Now, part of it is the whacked out AC noises (I think it was freezing up), but this is part of a growing trend since the summer. I will go to bed, fall asleep, and wake 2-4 hours later unable to get back to sleep until the sun is up and the family has left the house. Then I am miserable the rest of the day.
After talking to my neurologist last summer, I started taking lorazepam (Ativan) at bedtime when I was not able to fall asleep, and I just had a refill approved, but I am not to take it every night. When I do take it, I generally sleep a considerably longer time, but even then I feel fairly groggy the rest of the day. And what about this waking up in the wee hours? I can't take one that early in the morning, because I won't be able to function the rest of the day.
If this continues, I am going to ask for something I can take as a matter of course, like cymbalta or something. If you have had success with anything, I'd love to hear about it.

Remember, it's better to love than to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment